Tuesday, December 15, 2009

my word for 2010 revisited

A few weeks ago I wrote about choosing a word for 2010...and at the end of my post I suggested that my word for the year might be VITALITY. It seems to sum up how I want my life to be, and how I want to feel each day - full of energy, strength and vibrant health.

Now this is definitely still a goal but I've realised that before I can really live my best, most vital life I need to address some deeper issues around my self image, my doubts and fears, my beliefs about who and what I am capable of being. So I've decide to change my word for 2010 to COURAGE.

This quote from Maya Angelou encapsulates why courage is so very important -

"One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."

It takes courage to be true to yourself.
It takes courage to speak up and risk ridicule or rejection.
It takes courage to act when you feel crippled by fear.
It takes courage to take the road less travelled.
It takes courage to let go of old hopes and dreams.
It takes courage to create a new vision for your life.
It takes courage to say No.
It takes courage to say Yes.
It takes courage to walk away.
It takes courage to stay.
It takes courage to trust yourself to choose what is right for you.
It takes courage to stop complaining and accept responsibility.
It takes courage to be happy knowing that sadness is lurking in the shadows.

Where would we be without courage?
What sort of a life are we living if we don't embrace courage as our highest value.

So 2010, here I come, fuelled by COURAGE, ready to reach for my best life.



1 comment:

  1. My sister in law did this last year: she picked a word for the year to focus on. I thought it was a brilliant idea. After thinking about it & reading this post, it's something I just might do, too.

    Courage, great word!

    ReplyDelete